Wednesday, February 2, 2011

my cold weather 'must-haves.'


* Pulse-warmers (shown above). I wish I would have known about these years ago, especially with Raynaud's Syndrome, but I only found out about them just over a year ago when my friend Rebecca got me a pair as a Christmas gift. Apparently, if your pulse spots are warm, the rest of your body tends to be warmer too, and it really does work! I wear them around the house all the time, working at my desk, knitting, etc. I recently purchased a second pair at New York & Company, complete with thumb slots. They look easy to knit, so that might have to be my next project.

* Puffer vests. I wear these all the time in the winter.

* Heated mattress pad. We turn our mattress pad on before bed, and then the sheets are nice and toasty when it's time to slip under the covers. It has dual controls, so Winn and I can each choose our own setting. Once in bed, I usually turn my side way down or off completely.

* Down comforter.

* Heated car seats.

* Hand-warmer coffee mug. My sweet friend Jessica bought one of these for me for my birthday a couple years ago, and I love it! Instead of a handle, it has a little pocket to slip your fingers into to draw the heat from your warm drink.

* Space-heater by my desk.


* Rice bag feet-warmer, like this one and this one.

* Cuddl Duds, found here.

* SmartWool stockings, found here. I usually get a new pair of these in my Christmas stocking from Winn.

4 comments:

Niecey said...

My daughter Zoe has Raynaulds too, and I suspect my newbie has it - his hands and feet seems to turn blue the way Zoe's did when she was a baby.

I hate the feeling of socks on my feet, but I have this one pair that go to my knees and are SO comfy. I keep rewashing and rewearing them every day. I look forward to it getting warmer so I can go bare foot again though. As I type, I am under a thick comforter, with 2 sweaters on and my special socks and warm pants. I am frugal with the heating and it's wind chill of -25 here today.

Betsy said...

Yes, Niecey, I forgot to include my knee socks on this list! They actually go ABOVE my knee! Love them too. :)

Beth said...

Heated matress pad is one of our winter must haves also!

I love your pulse warmers. I saw a tutorial on someone's blog where she made them using long socks, cut off the 'foot' part, then used the button hole setting on her sewing machine to make the thumb hole. I scored some long argyle socks at Target for .74 cents a pair so I was going to attempt to make them. But I really love your knit ones! I may have to start knitting again.

Beth said...

Oh, and I just have to add that cuddle duds ROCK! Both my girls have them and I still have one of the undershirts in my collection that I had from high school. (It wasn't until I typed that out that I realized how bad that must be!!!)