Monday, January 3, 2011

getting back to "normal."


Surprisingly, I don't feel compelled to take down the Christmas lights or the tree yet, especially after all the time it took to make felt garland and popcorn strings. I know that some people (Winn included) are ready to get back to work, but I'm not ready for the festivities to be over. I don't have another job until tomorrow, so I'm stretching out the holiday for one more day, staying in my sweats and SmartWool stockings, sans shower, and perusing the internet for fixtures for the upstairs bathroom, the next project on our renovation list, and eating up some of the leftover pork and cowboy caviar for lunch. Snow is falling outside (again), and Shepherd likes looking out the window from his high chair, watching Sajak sniff around the frozen pond. He's eating finger foods now and drinking out of a sippy cup, growing up way too quickly for this mama's liking.

He's done so well over the past couple weeks (despite the late nights and the cutting of new teeth), easily adapting to a crazy schedule, tolerating all the smooches from less familiar faces, and sleeping in a bed other than his own. We celebrated out of state for five days with my in-laws and then back home with my family for the rest of the year. Santa-Baby brought me just what I wanted for Christmas: a boyfriend watch by Fossil. I also scored big with an orange vintage suitcase and hand-sewn rug from my mom (who had my name in our family gift exchange) and a few fun and unexpected gifts from sweet friends.

Stockings are my favorite, and I always look forward to the traditional stuffers (i.e. a Starbucks gift card from Carrie, a tree ornament from Jess, an orange from Dad [he's been putting oranges in our stockings since we were little, and it is always the best-tasting orange of the year], a glass bottle of root beer from Bob), as well as the surprise ones (including yummy homemade chocolate-covered coffee beans from Polly).

My out-of-town sisters and their families left for home yesterday, and I miss them already. And I miss Scrabble and pecan clusters and Christmas. I found a little pair of white tights on my couch that my niece left here, and there are toys and crayon artwork strewn about our house. I have suitcases to unpack, laundry to fold, sheets to wash, bills to pay online, and a mudroom to scrub. But like I said, I'm stretching out the vacation for one more day. Tomorrow is soon enough to get back to normal.


2 comments:

Beth said...

What a pretty tree! Our cat basically destroyed ours this year so I took it down early, but I'm with you in wanting it all to last a bit longer! Post some pics of your bathroom remodel if you can--I love before and after pics! Oh, and if you find a way to freeze time so our babies don't grow so quickly, pass that along too please. Gabby has her first loose tooth and it made me cry--my baby!

Jen said...

Agreed, getting back to "normal" is hard after the holidays...our tree is still up too. Brent thinks that it shouldn't be lit anymore since it's after Christmas, but I still like it lit to enjoy the ambiance a little while longer:) Merry belated Christmas and Happy belated New Year!