Tuesday, February 9, 2010

love is spoken here.

I'm snowed in this week (well, I could get out, but it's a good excuse to stay in). So in between knitting a crib blanket, working on our birth plan (a/k/a prenatal class homework), and watching a Jane Austen PBS special, I made a sign for above the patio door that I've been wanting to make for a long time. It's a reminder to me to speak in a loving tone, be it to my husband or to the annoying salesman on the phone.


While scavenging around the barn the other day, I found the perfect piece of barn board to use for my project (not to mention the cutest little chair for the nursery...but more about that in another post). Here is the piece of board after Winn cut it to size and sanded it for me...



I then painted the board a vintage white, letting some of the old barn paint show through, and sanded the edges to give it a more weathered look. After deciding on a font I liked, I made a stencil on the computer, cutting it out of card stock with a utility knife (the tedious part) and temporarily adhering it to the board with spray adhesive...


Then I experimented with my craft paint to come up with a bronze-ish brown color (a little orange, mustard, brown, black, and cream did the trick) and dabbed it on with a sponge brush...


Next I watered down the paint and dabbed it in the cracks and on the edges to make it look a bit more aged...


And then I roughened up the whole thing by giving it another sanding, including the painted-on letters, and attached some hanging brackets to the back. And here she is...



6 comments:

Ang said...

very pretty good job!!

Christy said...

This is beautiful!!!

Venessa said...

LOVE it!!!

Esther said...

What a great idea. Great job.

Jen said...

You always have such fun, creative ideas and the where with all to make them happen! You can stop by my place anytime to share your fabulous ideas for our house:)

nerdy squirrel!!! said...

Since you've been doing the stencil thing lately, (maybe you're already aware of this?) you should hook yourself up with some exacto knives and blades... they are a ton easier to maneuver than a utility knife (some swivel but I haven't tried that style yet!), especially if you use a self-healing mat underneath what you're doing (I got an OLFA that quilters use.) I love seeing how handy and crafty you choose to be! (this is Jessica Woudsma, btw)