Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Handmade Christmas No. 1: Heritage Shelf

Despite much whining and protesting from certain family members about doing a handmade Christmas gift exchange this year, I think it was a complete success (and you have to admit it was too, sister mine). It was so much fun to see everyone's creativity come out in their clever gift ideas. There was everything from woodcrafted lawn games and magic tricks to a week's supply of freezer meals to handstitched mittens, scarves, purses, and aprons. I wish I would have thought to take photos of them all.

I had my sister-in-law Sarah's name and made her a heritage shelf (inspired by my friend Andrea). I found an old shelf at a thrift store for $1.99...


Then I removed the heart cutouts in the corners, as well as a couple of the little cubby dividers, and painted it, sanding the edges to give it a more rustic look...


Next I chose several photos from their wedding last summer and turned them into black and white prints in the appropriate sizes, decoupaging them onto the back surface of the shelf. Finally, I painted some wooden letters and glued them to the smallest cubbies and finished the project with a few coats of clear spray sealant...



Coming tommorrow: Under the Mistletoe.

9 comments:

Andrea S. said...

ooooh! So good. Love yours more than mine! :)

Sarah Blanshan said...

And it turned out awesome! Thank you so much!

Venessa said...

Betsy, that is awesome!!! What creative talent!!! I love it!

teamcadwell said...

That looks amazing Betsy!! When I saw the first picture I was like, hmmm...really, they made that thing? I didn't picture that as being your style or something you would make...then I kept scrolling down...and wow - was amazed!!

Beth said...

A gift that awesome would have made me cry! Love it--you're so talented!

Terry Morris said...

that is so neat. It is a very heartfelt gift. love angie

Abbi said...

Oh Betsy,
That is neat! I did notice some "complaining" about Betsy's Christmas rules (done with out consulting everybody!) and I was curious what the issue was! :-)

Betsy said...

For the record, the "rules" were made by both Carrie and me, and only one or two people weren't too keen about the idea. :)

Esther said...

What a great gift. Thanks for sharing. It turned out amazing.