Wednesday, January 13, 2010

the BEST tomato soup.

By popular demand, I give you...

Garden Tomato Soup

1 cup chopped celery
1 small chopped onion
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
4 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes (about 7 medium)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour

In a 3 quart saucepan, saute celery, onion, carrots, and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups of the broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, stir remaining broth and flour until smooth. Gradually stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly (about 2 minutes).

**Note: I didn't have any celery on hand, so I left that out. I didn't have any curry powder either, so I substituted 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder instead. I used a jar of canned tomatoes from our garden, just cooking them down instead of chopping them, and it was mouth-watering! Thank you, Aunt Janice, for the recipe!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Yum! I'm going to try the soup and crouton recipe! I love the soup recipe because it's full of lots of stuff but nothing weird!

Janice said...

You're welcome! Aunt Row produced it at one of our Christmas teas. She may gave gotten it out of her food magazines:)