Monday, November 30, 2009

photo bombardment.

Thanksgiving-time in my grandparents' small town (spent with dozens of aunts and uncles and cousins and friends) was jolly as always, and too short. We crammed a lot into three days, including games, visiting, a wine and cheese party (courtesy of my aunt and the treats she smuggled in with her from The Netherlands), swimming and hot-tubbing, and of course plenty of turkey and stuffing and pies, to name a few. I'm already looking forward to next year.

My "little" siblings Jim and PJ


Cousin Ellie


Sister Polly and Niece Eavan


Exchange student Lucciano entertaining my cousin's son Oliver


Wearing purple ribbons (pancreatic cancer awareness) for my sister-in-law's mom



And these photos were taken by my Aunt Brenda's beau Richard...

Sisters


My nephew Joel loves him a piggy-back ride


Aunt Amy


Grandpa and his friend Larry playing one of their favorite games


My sweet grandma


Cousin Drew and his wife Sam


Miss Evelyn and my cousin's daughter Joely


Oliver


Aunt Barbara


Uncle Jon


Cousin Crystal


I wasted no time in setting up the tree the day after we got home, with help from my niece and nephew, and hanging some holly around. And now it looks all cozy and festive from my place on the couch where I recently awoke from my after-dinner nap. The kitchen still smells like garlic from the meal I scrounged up and threw together with ingredients from our nearly bare cupboards. Thankfully you will rarely find us without at least a couple pounds of pasta in the jar, and we still have a pile of carrots in the fridge from our garden, as well as some broccoli in the freezer. So I sauteed the veggies with basil and cheese and chicken broth and piled it atop the noodles and was pleasantly surprised to find its taste to be second-helping worthy.

Now I have a stack of baby magazines next to me, a husband sprawled across the living room floor working on a Christmas gift project, Enigma radio playing on Pandora, and three recently devoured chocolate chip cookies in my belly. And to top it all off, I came home this afternoon to find we had finally caught the darn mouse that ran across the kitchen floor right in front of me a few nights ago! Life is good.




3 comments:

Christy said...

LOVE these pictures of your house. I've seen it before and liked it, but it's always better in the glow of a Christmas tree!

Jen* said...

It is so fun to look at a photo-packed post! I love the photos of your home...it looks just as warm and welcoming and cozy as I'd imagined.

Abbi said...

All the pictures are so fun. Thanksgiving looks like it was a grand time. Your house does look lovely.