Thursday, October 15, 2009

a head start on christmas.

(Louet roving, imported from New Zealand sheep)


Is it weird that I’m having an apple w/ peanut butter, tater tots, and chocolate milk for supper? Winn is eating the leftover pizza that we had for dinner last night (courtesy of our out-of-town guests), and that didn’t sound good to me. I figure this way I’m getting my fruit, protein, carbs, and dairy. And chocolate (in the milk), which is a food group, right? At least when you’re a female. Or pregnant. Or, in my case, both.

I am thinking about Christmas gifts today. Because the challenge for our family’s gift exchange is to make a homemade gift for our recipient. My sister Carrie and I were the ones to devise this fun plan and impose it on everyone else, much to my sister Jessica’s chagrin (she doesn’t think she’s creative enough, but we disagree). Thankfully I drew a girl’s name, so I’m trying to decide on baked goods, sewn goods, knitted goods, or some other crafty endeavor. I also need to get on the ball and make a couple of baby gifts.

So I was all over town this afternoon searching (oops, I just dipped an apple slice into the ketchup pile instead of the peanut butter pile…not so yum) for supplies for these various projects, as well as a stop at my office to pick up the smallest check I have received in my career thus far (gotta love freelancing) and a stop at the library for a book of knitting patterns and a new novel to read (since I finished all the maternity books on my nightstand). I was unsuccessful at finding any roving, so I will have to buy that online. I have never used roving for a project before, but apparently it’s wool that hasn’t yet been felted or spun into yarn.

While I was at Kristen’s Knits, I found the perfect bamboo cotton in tomato red to make little baby socks out of, and I couldn’t help myself. Our baby absolutely must have a pair of stockings made out of it. I have never tried knitting socks before, but I found a free pattern for them online. I’m going to give it a whirl this evening...I'll let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

Christy said...

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of those "apple red" booties. Sooo cute! I also love your comments about your pile of maternity books. I read and reread just because it was so extremely fascinating. Of course, Kent always enjoyed my choice of bedtime reading each and every night! :)

The Family said...

Warning!! Socks are adictive!! lol once i got started they were all over the house.. lost count of how many pairs i have knit..something about those double point needles...

Carrie said...

Hhhmmm....I think we could all benefit from your learning to knit socks. :) Maybe stocking fillers?

Abbi said...

I want to try making socks too. I thought those might be fun Christmas gifts for my boys. I have never made them either but surely the heel isn't too hard.

tim and nancy said...

have you ever been to Austin's Mohair down near Harmony? Maybe they carry what you were looking for?