Saturday, June 20, 2009

a saturday all to ourselves.

This morning I woke up to the sun, lifted my head to see the red 7:30 on the clock, and almost chuckled out loud when I realized the big event was over and it was the first Saturday in months where there would be no scheduled workday to get our farm wedding-ready. It was like Christmas morning. Or the first day of vacation. I rolled over and closed my eyes, the warm summer air made bearable, even pleasant, by the ceiling fan rotating above our heads.

We slept for a while longer and then chatted between the chocolate-colored sheets for a couple hours, finally making our way down to the kitchen around 10:30. Winn made German pancakes and coffee while I challenged my sisters (online) to a few games of Wordtwist. We went outside around noon. Winn mowed the yard (a three-hour task out here), and I weeded the garden, painted the railing for the barn steps, and watered the flowers.

By mid-afternoon we were getting hungry again, and I picked some more lettuce from the garden and made a large salad, adding cucumbers, cheese, and crunchy bagel crisps to the mix. After eating, we dug our forgotten bicycles out of the shed, dusted them off, and rode the three miles to the Rock Dell Creamery for an ice cream treat. When we pedaled in, the nice man next-door said they closed at noon. Better luck next time.

We came indoors, slightly sunburned, around 7:30 and showered. I made Lemon-Berry Freezes (2 cups of lemonade and 1 cup of frozen strawberries liquefied in the blender) and sliced up some potatoes and seasoned and baked them for homemade fries (a favorite of ours). Now we're having laptop time on the couch and feeling relaxed and happy and tired and blessed.

Meanwhile, The Ladies went for a stroll around Circle Drive...


I love this one of Nora, so intrigued by the camera...


And little Whiskers, half their size, pretending she's a master chicken-tracker...




5 comments:

Abbi said...

Sounds like a fun day. Our became a little busy when Mom called this morning and wondered if we wanted to help butcher a pig they had been offered. Free pork is always nice.

Esther said...

I'm so glad you finally had a free Saturday. Sounds like a nice day.

Jessica said...

Hmmm... ice cream. Normally that would sound really good, but I've had wayyy too many sweets today. We grabbed some gourmet popcorn- white chocolate- I'm sure you would approve! Very tasty and addicting- before I knew it I had eaten a whole bowl!

jessicalolene said...

hey, i thought her name was "Alice".

me said...

Alice, Whiskers, Crybaby, Stinky, Kitty... :)