Monday, March 30, 2009

potpourri


We spent the weekend in Iowa with Gary and some of Winn's siblings and their families. We had dried all the floral bouquets from the funeral, and on Saturday Kendra and I made little potpourri sachets out of them, to give to each of Sherill's sisters, daughters, and granddaughters. We tossed the petals in English ivy hydrangea oil and used them to fill small teabags made of green netting. We then sewed slipcovers for the potpourri out of a soft fabric with pink flowers and a pink ribbon drawstring through the top.

We were the last to leave the house yesterday. No one wanted to be the last. Winn's dad ended up going to small group in the evening. I wonder if it was so that no one had to leave him there all alone. After he left, we packed up and cleaned the house and left the lights on and music playing and put Holly, their golden retriever, inside to greet him when he got home. We fought back tears as we closed the door behind us, thinking of the tough night he would have.

We got home around midnight and slept in the guestroom. The master bedroom is torn apart. My dad applied a few skim coats of mud over the drywall while we were gone over the weekend. Hopefully we can paint soon and move back to our own bed.

This morning Winn went back to work. I slept in and then had scrambled eggs, an orange, and white chocolate macadamia nut coffee for breakfast. Since then I have been listening to Pandora Radio, catching up on the news, ordering new register covers, making a grocery list, starting a roast in the crock pot for supper, and cleaning to get ready for visitors this evening. The wind and clouds are making me feel gloomy. I hope sunshine is on its way.

5 comments:

Jen* said...

sweet Betsy~ I love the idea of sharing the flowers with the girls of the family....you and Kendra are creative and kind.

I send you wishes for a glimpse of the sun out your window, a bag of potato chips with dip (!) and the knowledge that so many people love you.

The Rhoderick Family said...

what a neat idea to do with the flowers! I am sure those will be a treasured keepsake.

Abbi said...

THose look very sweet.

I talked to Sarah today about their wedding and flowers. I am eager to see all the progress at your place when we come down for the wedding.

krmccord said...

The potpourri is such a great idea! I am sure everyone appreciated having those as keepsakes. You are so sweet.

Esther said...

Love the potpourri idea. Gary is so blessed to have a family who loves and cares for him so much.