Sunday, December 7, 2008

surviving day two in the arctic



When we got up this morning, the thermostat read 40 degrees. (No wonder I didn't sleep much last night!) Even with a heated mattress pad, a down comforter, two quilts, and a blanket over us, I felt sort of like I was camping on a cold night and tossing and turning in my sleeping bag, trying to find the warmest position. I awoke all achy and chilled. Winn got up before me and started a heater in the bathroom to warm it up before my shower. And then he made puffed pancakes in the oven and started a pot of coffee. On our way out the door for church, we draped a little blanket over Sajak. He usually doesn't like things touching him, but this time he didn't protest.

Now that we've had four space heaters going all day, it's a balmy 43. Winn and I are spending the afternoon curled up under the covers on our bed with our laptops, trying to come up with scenarios that will make us feel warmer. Here are my two favorites: 1) It's a stifling 120 degrees outside, in the shade, and our house has a REALLY good air-conditioner. Or 2) We are lost in the desert, taking our last few steps before dying of heat and thirst, when we stumble upon a walk-in refrigerator (that's shaped exactly like our house). There, now that feels better. :) And first thing tomorrow morning, Midwest Fuel will come with their big propane truck to rescue us. Life is good.

5 comments:

Ang said...

Thank God that everything else seems ok. Once Mary let her tank run out and the pipes burst. Not pretty. In fact it was awful.

me said...

Yes, we've been keeping a close eye on that. Thus all the space heaters! :) That would not be fun...poor Mary.

jessicalolene said...

Now that you're in the country, you'll have to keep a close eye out on the propane level. Nothing sucks more than running out on the weekend. ( I know)

Britt said...

Okay, I'm done complaining about being "cold". =-)

In The Potter's Hands said...

Well I'm just now reading this and I hope your house is much warmer now. I believe we did that a time or two while living in Minnesota. Aww, the fond memories come flooding back. :)