Thursday, December 4, 2008

the stockings are hung

I started to feel a little overwhelmed by all the holiday hustle and bustle, so in order to concentrate on Thanksgiving and then get into the Christmas spirit, I had to give up a few things so that I could be true to my goal of keeping it simple this year. One of those things that I had to give up was blogging. But after a short hiatus, I'm proud to announce that the stockings are hung and my Christmas shopping is done and I didn't lose any sleep or pull my hair out over it. Meanwhile, here are some of the things I've been up to...

1} Thanksgiving with my extended family. As happens every year, around 75 of us descended upon the tiny town of Madelia, MN, for the better part of a week and celebrated Blanshan-style with lots of food, lots of music, lots of games, a baby shower, and an anniversary party.

The fam.


2} Organizing a sewing space for myself in the guest bedroom. I inherited an old table from my aunt to put my sewing machine on and finally unpacked all my fabric and sewing notions and have had fun dreaming up new design ideas once again. In fact, I already have a few Christmas projects in the works.

My "new" table.


3} Being excited for my sister that her hubby is coming home from Saudi Arabia in just three days (after six months away), and smiling when I think about how excited Cate and Joel are going to be to see their daddy. I can just hear their little shrieking voices going on and on about all the things that they've been doing while he was gone. ("Come see my new room! Look at what I drew! Read me a story, give me a piggyback ride...")

Thanksgivingtime - Cate and Joel are ready for the hot tub.


4} Putting up the tree.

We miss our fireplace--stockings on the
windowsill just aren't the same.


5} Gearing up for a job next month that will involve realtime and same-day transcripts and possibly an internet feed for a three-week trial, something I have never done before. I've been on the phone with my software support staff and the law firms about all the technical preparations that have to be made. I need to hire a scopist, purchase some additional hardware and software, and do a dry run in the courtroom. Love a challenge!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm excited for me too! And I think simple is better when it comes to holidays. Your house looks very festive. I adore your new sewing table!

Abbi said...

It sounds like life has been busy for you! I am glad you are back to blogging. :-)

The Rhoderick Family said...

The stockings look adorable on the windowsill. The tree looks gorgeous and I missed you while you were gone away from the blog world! Everyone needs a break though. :)

Jessica said...

Your tree looks beautiful. Missed your blogs... and YOU!

Venessa said...

I agree - simple is much better!! I am glad you are back - I missed you! ( : I hope your new job challenge goes well and that you have a wonderful Christmas. I also saw on Facebook that you are getting a new foster child...so more new adventures on the way! I love your craft room - the locker is great and what a fun idea to use magnets! Have fun crafting - I tell Paul that I could do with a week locked away in my craft room! ( :

Lanell said...

Love seeing pictures of your house...you are so creative and have good taste in deocrating! :) Love the tree...and would have never thought to put stockings on the window sill! Not the same as a fire place, but adorable just the same! LOVE the lockers too!! I've been trying to find some lockers...but haven't found any that are small like that instead of the full size ones. Have a great Christmas!!