Friday, December 5, 2008

secondhand space

I went thrift store shopping yesterday to search for a bookshelf for my sewing space where I can store baskets full of fabric or various projects. Instead I found something else that is not at all what I had in mind but ends up working perfectly. An old set of lockers! I offered them half of the marked price, and they took it (Uncle Dennis would be so proud of me). I'll probably spray-paint it in the spring when it gets warm enough outside, and I'd also like to attach some magnetic labels on each door to identify what's inside the cubbies. But for now, at least I can finish getting everything organized.

The old dresser is from my grandma, the table from Aunt Barbara, and the green jars (where I'm storing ribbon, buttons, and other goodies) are from my sister. One more thing I'd like to find is an old set of shutters to hang on the wall above the sewing desk where I can clip project ideas, photos, fabric samples, etc., so just picture something is there rather than that empty space. :)


10 comments:

Britt said...

I love thriftily decorated spaces =-) Those lockers are a great find!

Ang said...

How cool is that space! I love it. you want to work in that space. the shutter idea is great. Can not wait to see the finish product. Way to go on the deal with the locker.

All in a Day said...

Some friends of ours have a whole wall in their garage with lockers on their sides. They store tools and whatever else they need in them.

krmccord said...

Looks great, Betsy!! I really like the mannequin thing. You could paint the lockers with chalk boardpaint and then just write on the doors what's inside:)

Allison said...

looks great Betsy! you have a great decorating style.

me said...

That's such a great idea about the chalkboard paint, Kaylan! Thanks!

breannabrummer said...

oh my heavens!!! i just decided this week the hunt for my very own lockers was on! so funny to see you found some! i'm totally jealous! ;) i absolutely LOVE it!!!

jen* said...

I love your creative space, Betsy! I have been wanting an inspiration board as well and I never thought of using shutters...thank you for a great idea!

Esther said...

Great sewing space. Those lockers will work beautifully for all your sewing stuff. Fun, fun!

In The Potter's Hands said...

I love your creativity!! That's something I didn't get much of so I rely on awesome people like you to give me ideas! Now, if only I had a sewing room.....