Wednesday, October 8, 2008

fall foliage

Another perfect sunny day. I had two jobs this morning in Roch. The first one didn't start until ten o'clock, so I didn't have to rush around this morning, and the last one was finished up by one o'clock. I came home and had some pasta and a banana and caught up on paying bills, returning phone calls and emails, collecting the mail and the chicken's eggs, and checking homework assignments. Now I'm eyeing the hammock through the window and thinking about taking a book out there, but I'm sure my left-brainedness will win out and I'll end up tackling some of the transcripts on my desk instead.

Yesterday I drove to Wabasha for a job. It was rainy and slightly foggy, and all the autumn colors were brilliant. I almost decided not to post these photos that I pulled over and took alongside the road, because they don't even begin to do it justice.




The deposition was held at an old worn-out brick building owned by Wabasha County, a structure that was charming but needed tons of TLC. The conference room was in the basement; the carpet was probably born before I was, and orange and stained; the coffee was awful and stale; the lounge "chairs" were actually old rust-colored bench seats from a van; and the witness was duller than a butter knife. It took all the strength I could muster to not fall asleep during the two-hour interrogation of the engineer about highway signage laws. Thankfully the three attorneys engaged in a bit of heated discussion every once in a while that was entertaining enough to keep me from giving in to my sleep deprivation. That evening I beat Winn home and sacked out on the couch until he arrived twenty minutes later. We made homemade tortillas for supper, and then Winn used the leftover dough to make sopapillas for dessert. They. Were. Fabulous. And we went to bed early.

4 comments:

The Rhoderick Family said...

Ummm....can I just say....YUM!!!!
Sounds like you had a very productive day!

Andrea S. said...

Mmmm, I'm ready for some fall colors (and fall weather). got your message yesterday! Thanks for the congrats. I'll try and call tomorrow to chat.

Venessa said...

Don't you just love fall!! It is my favorite!! Can you share your tortilla recipe with me? I have one but I want to see what yours is like - do you roll it out with a rolling pin? Please don't tell me you have a special gadget! ( : I don't need any more things to clutter my kitchen space... I also have a different recipe for sopapillas and hadn't thought of using the same for both. I do love sopapillas a bit too much... ( : Yummy!

Minkydo said...

Such pretty scenery. Thanks for sharing :)