Saturday, October 4, 2008

catching up

Winn made blueberry pancakes for breakfast again this morning (we're sure loving that store of blueberries in the freezer and are dreading the day it comes to an end), and after a couple tractor rides and some tire-swinging, my sister and her kids headed back home to Iowa. It's quiet around here without Cate and Joel. I miss them already. We went to the apple orchard while they were here, and I got another huge bag of apples (this time of the Lustre Elstar variety) to make more applesauce, pie, crisp, or whatever else we get a hankering for. We also admired the pumpkin patch, bought some caramel apples for a treat, and the kids conquered the hay bale maze.





After our company left, I mowed the lawn and got started on a stack of homework that's due by tomorrow night, and Winn began the process of tearing the lean-to off the barn and getting things ready to re-roof it before winter (due to the windstorm mishap earlier this summer).


The other night after volleyball (we have yet another victorious game under our belt--go Culver's!), Winn and I had dinner with our Ewing friends. They have an apple press that Kevin made, so we made our own apple cider to drink with the meal. Here's Ben and his muscles...


The neighbors have started combining, and it's been fun to watch them out in the field through the new window in my home office...

2 comments:

miranda said...

wow, I just lave readying your blog. It seems like you are busy quite often with different events and such. but you always have so many fun stories about the fun things on your farm. I just really enjoy reading about all of it. Thanks for sharing.

Minkydo said...

I can't believe how big those kids are getting. Such gorgeous smiles.

Love all the pictures :)