Thursday, October 23, 2008

bittersweet

I talked to Jonathan's grandma on the phone yesterday, and she said he's doing very well. In fact, she said he got all dressed up for school the other day to receive an award from his teachers for being a student that is thoughtful of his fellow classmates. I can just picture him standing up there accepting the award, with his toothless grin (probably not so toothless anymore, but that's how I remember him), so proud to be recognized by his peers. I started to cry after hanging up the phone. It is bittersweet that he doesn't need us anymore.

While looking back at photos of him while he was here, I found this one of these two peas in a pod, in a tent on a camping trip (in the living room)...

2 comments:

The Rhoderick Family said...

Oh, Betsy! I just can't imagine the pain and yet happiness that must bring. I hope you all will be able to share your home and family with another little one if that's what you choose.

Abbi said...

That is neat that he is doing well. I am sure it is hard not to see him though. I have been thinking of you (and have thought about calling but then never got it done) lately. A family we had been trying to help has a messy situation and we are somewhat considering doing foster care if we could get their 1 year old son. I think it would be neat but I am not sure if we are ready for it!