Monday, September 8, 2008

vacation over

I've been enjoying my last little bit of vacation before my classes start again tonight (this term it's Purchase Management and Corporate Finance). My niece and nephew were here last week, so that was a great way to spend my week off. We played with Play-Doh, explored the outdoors, ate ice cream in the morning and pancakes at night, went to the bookstore, and wandered through the sidewalk shops downtown. We gathered chicken eggs, juggled with them (Joel), and then used them for baking. We pushed each other on the tree swing, and when we went to town, we rode the escalators up and down and up again. It just occurred to me that I never took any pictures of our escapades. But trust me, they're two of the cutest and funnest kids you'll ever meet.

Other highlights of my vacation week include: having my sister Peggy over for an ice cream and movie sleepover, a date night with my husband, and giggling with my sister Carrie over our discovery of products from the Scrub Your Butt Soap Company at a downtown tent sale--they have organic soaps and balms such as "Flubb Rubb" (to reduce the appearance of stretch marks) and "Saggy Hagg" (to smooth away wrinkles).

Anyway, I digress. For quite a while I've been meaning to tell you about a book that we read last term in my Business Communications class called "Crucial Conversations." It was a New York Times bestseller and talks about "tools for talking when stakes are high." The authors insist that dialogue skills are learnable and that once learned, you will be able to talk about anything with anyone. It was full of good ideas and valuable skills for both business and personal life, and it was a good read that I highly recommend.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

yep. I have done 4 weddings now. It's fun :) I worked at a flower shop since I was 12 until after I was married. Good stuff, flowers are!:)

Britt said...

Oh thank you so much for posting the link to the Soap co. I laughed so hard! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything .. the Stinky Hippy Dog Shampoo with the tagline "Smell like a peace loving mutt Not a butt" just kills me. In a good way, of course. :o)