Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Overcoming boredom.


Even with a bike, sprinkler, tree house, dog, cats, and chickens, a six-year-old tends to get bored on these long summer days. So we're trying to get creative. Yesterday we got out the Play-Doh, went to the library, learned to fold clothes (to earn some points for a toy he's been wanting), and wrote some thank-you notes to people who gave him a bike and someone else who gave him a snowboard. The snowboard was given to him when there was still snow on the ground, but we're a little late in getting thank-yous out! While at the library I noticed that they have programs for kids every Wednesday, so today we went to see Justin Roberts, a singer/songwriter from Chicago who plays guitar and sings silly songs. He was fun, and the kids seemed enthralled with him. We also have yet to check out the local pools, and someone else told me that they have free kids' movies at the new theater every Wednesday and Thursday. I guess this week they're showing Charlotte's Web, and I thought it would be fun to take Jonathan to that since that's the chapter book we've been reading at bedtime.

In other news, it seems the farm has a new litter of babies...the mice kind. Ugh. I was sitting at my desk the other day when a tiny lil' bugger sauntered right past my toes. Too close for comfort. He seemed to be in no hurry at all, but I wasn't about to catch him. I set up four mousetraps at once, overflowing with peanut butter. The next morning Winn walked past another baby in the hallway, who calmly climbed into the ice cream pail he was holding. He took it out to start teaching the barn cats about their new diet, but it turns out they didn't need any lessons. They got to work on it right away, as if they were old hats at pouncing and preying on baby mice. Later that day when walking up the staircase, I stopped dead in my tracks to another baby staring at me from the top step. Winn rescued me with the ice cream pail and took another meal out to the cats. I then checked the mousetraps, and to my delight, momma fell for the ol' peanut butter trick and has joined her two babes in the bellies of our kittens. Three down, ? to go.

5 comments:

Ang said...

Oh no! Maybe the kittens will soon be laying presents down for you to find. One morning I woke up to one on my side of the bed right where I put my feet. Molly had giving me a gift or at least we think that it was her.

miranda said...

oh my.thanks for sharing about the mice. I could just see it all so clearly. It sounds like you are having a great time with your little guy again.

Hester said...

I used to find headless baby bunnies on our front step in the morning, courtesy of our cat. I had to dispose of them before the kids left for school and found them. Recently we've had a family of mice move in. They were too smart (or too light)for the spring-loaded trap but the glue traps caught them.

Abbi said...

Oh mice! One year in our mobile home we caught 22 mice! I have been very thank-ful to not have found any since moving here.

Betsy Cradic said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I will keep the glue traps in mind, Hester, in case the lil' buggers around here start wising up to my tricks. So far there has been no more sign of them. Oh my, 22 mice, Abbi?!