Saturday, June 21, 2008

"Lazy" Saturday.

video

I think I've mentioned before how much I love Saturdays. For us they're usually project days. Today we woke up to the sun streaming in our window around seven o'clock and puttered downstairs for coffee. Winn drove to town to pick up our new Husqvarna (no more push-mowing six acres of thick grass, three passes over each spot, with a manually-propelled mower that we got for free several years ago--it served us well, but it was high time to say goodbye), and I emptied and swept the front and back porches and taped off all the windows to get them ready to paint with the sprayer. When Winn got home, he made us a yummy French toast brunch. Sometime in the late morning my New Zealand friend Ursula and her daughter Anna delivered our chickens, three beautiful laying hens. Red leghorns, she said they're called, and they won't start laying until this fall. She said she has a rooster we can have too. We said we might take her up on it if we're successful in keeping these hens alive.

We spent the afternoon spraying the porches and doing yard work, stopping periodically for ice water and snacks of multigrain Sunchips and apple slices with peanut butter, and later we packed Sajak and some Freezie-pops in the car and headed to town for a visit with Jonathan. He was thrilled to see Sajak and walked him on his leash pretty much the whole time we were there, aside from the time he was having contests with Winn to see who could jump off the swings the farthest or get down the slide the fastest. His hair was wet when we arrived, and I asked him if he had just taken a shower. His grandma said, no, it was because he was in front of the mirror fixing his hair before we got there. :) Melt me.

Tonight it was a birthday party for my sister Peggy at my parents' house, with chicken alfredo that was dee-lish and, of course, cake and ice cream. Now I'm beat. Unfortunately, I've got a test to take and a paper to write for school. So what on earth am I doing blogging...

Credits: We'd like to thank Mom for supper, the Grebe family for the chickens, and our friend Chris for the use of his paint sprayer and his wheels (Winn has truck-envy now, by the way) to transport the lawnmower.

4 comments:

Abbi said...

I hope all goes well with you chicken venture. Farm fresh eggs are so very yummy. (We get them from my parents and with no work on our part.)

jessicalolene said...

Gross...chickens. I'll take some eggs, though. :) Hey, what happened to Alaska?

Betsy Cradic said...

You mean what happened with Jonathan moving to Alaska? That got delayed because of some of his family issues.

Peggy said...

what did you name your chickens?