Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Pledge of Allegiance.

Jonathan and I were at Home Depot the other day when he stopped in front of a flag in the paint aisle, put his hand on his heart, and flawlessly recited:

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands,
One nation, under God, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.


I stopped next to him and put my hand on my heart until he was finished. Later at the checkout counter we bought a little 98-cent stick flag to hang on his treehouse.

4 comments:

Cherry Messimer said...

Sweet.

Ang said...

What a special moment. Thanks for sharing.

Andy & Jessica said...

So good to hear that... so many don't show our flag respect anymore. Go to a sporting event... more than half don't place their hands on their hearts and others are still talking- very annoying. (Okay... I'm off my little soapbox....) Proud of him!

miranda said...

wow, I love that kids can bring this out in such amazing ways. I grew up saying the pledge of the American flag, Christian flag, and also the bible. and I look back at those moments and cherish them deeply. He sounds like a great young man :).