Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Next best thing to Serta.

We finally got the kitchen floors finished, and I think Sajak likes them. His cushion was only a few feet away, but he chose the smooth oak planks instead. It probably feels better on a warm day. We stained the floors on our way out the door to Iowa over the weekend, and I put a coat of finish on them when we got home on Memorial Day and a second coat yesterday. I think tonight we'll be able to move the fridge, stove, table, etc., back into the room. Winn got the rest of the cabinets built at his dad's shop over the weekend. We still need the doors, but at least I'll be able to unpack most of the kitchen paraphernalia.

I should be getting things together for our Alaska trip, but I can't seem to concentrate on packing when there's still so much UNpacking to be done. I need to at least locate all our boxes of clothes and travel items. It will probably be fairly chilly up there this early in the summer, so socks and scarves and sweaters are a must. I'm looking forward to the whale-watching, the extra hours of daylight, the glaciers, the hot coffee on a brisk morning on the deck of the ship, and the precious time with family.

8 comments:

Andrea S. said...

These tiny little peeks of your house are killing me! I can't wait to see the final reveal. :) The floors look fantastic.

Betsy Cradic said...

I doubt there will ever be a "final reveal," as there's so much to be done that it will probably take us a lifetime! I will take some pictures of the rooms in their entirety, though, as soon as the trim is up. Until that's done, it still kinda looks unfinished.

Katie said...

Hey Betsy, you could come over and do our floors! haha Our dog does that too, the floors are probably cooler. In taiwan us kids used to do that on the cool tile! Your trip to Alaska sounds so cool. Enjoy!

Esther said...

The floors look wonderful. I can't wait to see pictures of the rest of the house. It was really nice to see you in Ottumwa. I'm glad that I was still there when you came. I asked Kylee on the way home that night if she wanted to stay there because of Holly or Betsy. She said, "I want to stay with Betsy!"

miranda said...

that picture is so precious...I can imagine that your poor puppy is feeling some of your tiredness from making your house so beautiful and he is showing you in his own way how much he appreciates the work you are all doing :)


What a beautiful floor!!!

Ang said...

Good job on the floor!! Very nice. Sajak must have worked so hard. lol

Andy & Jessica said...

Dogs always point out that we should appreciate the little things... a nice cool place to lay down.

~Dianna~ said...

Yea! Katie and Ryan are so great! We are so excited they are finally getting married!! Nathan and I are planning to be up that way for their wedding next May. Your new house looks just lovely! Nathan would love to undertake a project like that but alas we are still poor college students : ) Have a great week