Saturday, February 16, 2008

Speaking of barns...

Well, I've always wanted a barn...and now we have three! We're the proud new owners of 10 acres with outbuildings galore and an old decrepit farmhouse. At first glance the home might look unliveable, but through the dirt and grime and rotted boards and frozen pipes, we can see the potential in the old hardwood floors and high ceilings and ancient trim. So we'll be busy for several months or years (and if you come and visit us, we'll probably put you to work with a paintbrush too), but someday we'll have it back to its long-ago status of being one of the most charming farms in the area. And we might even have a few chickens by then too.

We still have to sell our house but don't want to do that until we have the farm fixed up enough to live there. I'm not looking forward to the whole having-the-house-on-the-market thing again. It's terribly inconvenient to have to be ready to leave at a moments notice while a realtor shows your house. But I guess there's not much one can do about that.

Things are going well with Jonathan. He's a delight to have around. When I picked him up from school on Friday, he got in the car and said, "I'm really sorry I have to tell you this..." (here I brace myself for something really bad) "...but I'm going to be losing a tooth soon." Boy was I glad to hear that! :)

And speaking of teeth, I found these in the pockets of a certain little boy's pants when I was doing laundry...

10 comments:

Peggy said...

hey betsy, that's awesome! can't wait to see it.
thanks for coming to my game tonight. sorry i didn't score for you.

Abbi said...

Thats exciting about buying a farm!! I think fixing a place up would be exciting but an awful lot of work too!
I saw a pretty barn today that made me think of your earlier picture and post.

Minkydo said...

Wow! That is exciting. Love the way Jonathan told you about this tooth. *lol*

Andrea S. said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures (before & after of course!)

Andy & Jessica said...

What an adventure you have in store for you...lots of fun projects and memories to 'build' on when you finally do move in. Jonathan sounds like a hoot!

andrea said...

I love the teeth! It's as if you're a mom out of the fifties -- finding finding "boy" stuff in your little one's pockets! Where is your new farm? How exciting! Oh, and, are you planning on going to the Christian convention?

Barb A. said...

Yeah! I can't wait to see your new 'plantation'! You and Winn are both so talented at seeing the potential of something and fising it up! Where is it located?

martha said...

Oh! That sounds so exciting! A farm is hopefully somewhere in our future . :)

Betsy Cradic said...

Thanks for all the comments! We're very excited about it. Winn and I love a good project. :) For those that were wondering, the farm is located SW of Rochester. It takes about 10 or 15 minutes from downtown Roch, and it's on paved roads--no gravel--which is nice.

Betsy Cradic said...

Hi Andrea K.! I'm not sure about the Christian convention yet. It seems that might be the same weekend as the women's conference at Autumn Ridge, which our worship team is singing for. We'd definitely love to get together with you and Brian when you're in town though, and you're welcome to use our place as a hotel too! Give us a call.