Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cops and Robbers.

We had a serious game of cops and robbers going on here while I was making dinner last night. Jonathan demanded that I call him "sheriff" throughout most of the evening. His prisoner (some of you might know him as Winn) was banished to the staircase, as the banister is the closest thing we have in this house to jailhouse bars. I, the jail's mess hall cook, found the game to be particularly handy when I learned that the sheriff was more than willing to force his prisoner to accomplish several tasks for me while the soup and grilled sandwiches were on the stovetop, such as taking out the garbage and carrying laundry downstairs. I wish I would have snapped a photo of Winn headed down the stairs, arms laden with laundry, a toy pop-gun pressed to his back by a skinny but handsome lil' sheriff.

Tonight a pancake supper is on the menu, just as soon as the boys get back inside from their snowblowing and shoveling. I think I'll surprise them with some steaming hot cocoa and marshmallows too.

8 comments:

ChristyBC said...

I'm loving hearing about your new house guest. I'm also feeling pretty happy about how blessed he is to have you guys in his life! Reminds me of DJ (who'll be 6 next month). Tonight he was a lost puppy dog from before dinner right up until bedtime. Name was Rufus and I was in trouble if I forgot. Fortunately, he was a puppy that could brush his own teeth!

Minkydo said...

That sounds precious!

martha said...

You know what? I'm suddenly looking forward to my boy being 6. The boys around here had made me a little worried, but no more.

miranda said...

I love the adventurous spirit in young boys. I know that my little brothers still do some crazy things like this and though they are getting a little older and "let's pretend" isn't as likely to happen, they still enjoy games and forts and such.I was wondering if you were fostering the little boy or just babysitting? I haven't read to far back in these. Still it all sounds like fun!

Janelle Marie said...

That is so precious. It's so amazing how quickly he has "joined the family". That is totally a God thing! I can totally picture Winn headed down the stairs with an arm load of laundry and Jonathan holding a toy gun to his back! I was laughing as I read your blog! Thanks for sharing all the great stories!

Betsy Cradic said...

Thanks for all your comments! It has been fun...and hard...but mostly fun. :)

Angie said...

How sweet! Tell that lil sheriff he better keep his prisoners in line! LOL

Abbi said...

What fun! Jonathan probably thinks it is great to have two adults that are willing to play with him.