Monday, February 11, 2008

Bestest friend.


We had a pirate-themed Kids Hope party at the elementary school last week, complete with hats and eyepatches and hooks and games like "Walk the Plank" and "Treasure Chest." The kids (and the adults, I might add) had a grand ol' time. Kathy, our KH director, is always so creative with the themes and organizing of these events. These are kids who are struggling socially and academically, usually due to a chaotic home life, whether it's their parents' divorce or something else, and these parties are important to them--something that's done just for them. Thank you, Kathy.

Today Mallory and I worked on prepositions. I think she's finally got her nouns down, but she struggles with the other parts of speech and is way behind the rest of her class. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really getting through to her. There are days when it's a battle to even finish a single lesson page, let alone the entire stack. But then there are days like after the party last week when Mallory's mom came up to me and said that Mallory had told her that I was her "bestest friend in the whole world." And letters like this one that I got from my student two years ago who was graduating from elementary school:

Dear Betsy,

How are you doing? Hopefully you’re doing fine. I just wanted to say I’m going to miss you a lot. I want to say you’re a good mentor. I will miss you very much. I hope that you will have a great summer. I hope you notice that today 6/6/06 is the last day of school. I will miss you a lot. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it a lot.

P.S HOPE TO SEE YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Sincerely,
Sandy

So when it's a chore to finish a lesson or to get students to sit still and concentrate, I try and think of the time spent outside on the swingset just chatting with Sandy, or when her teacher told me how much she'd been improving. Or the summer evenings when Derek would come along with us to a church softball game and run the bases after the game, or the proud look on his face when he finally got the hang of tying his own shoes. Or the time when Mallory called me her bestest friend...

3 comments:

Ang said...

Did you start to cry? How touching things like that make it all worth wild. You are such a great example to all. I am so proud of the woman that you have become. love you

Bob said...

Dito

Betsy Cradic said...

Awww, thanks guys. ;)