Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Homemade.

I love homemade. Like giving things homemade. Like receiving things homemade. It makes me feel all resourceful and organic and fuzzy inside. :) Plus, it's fun to create things with your hands! Baby receiving blankets are one of my favorite, and extremely easy, shower gifts to make. I've heard that babies outgrow the smaller store-bought blankets so fast, and moms usually love to have some bigger ones. So, armed with 44 inches (or 45 or whatever width of fabric it is, just so it's square) of cuddly soft cuteness from your favorite fabric shop, you too can make little receiving blankets. Just turn the sides under twice and stitch around the edges. I like to roll them up and tie them with leftover scraps of the same fabric, as I did here...


For a baby gift last week, I paired the receiving blankets with this baby bathtowel (a fabulous pattern that I got from Aunt Row, using a nice, soft towel and washcloth)...


DO try this at home!

3 comments:

Andrea S. said...

Both EXCELLENT ideas and most definitely favorite gifts to receive. Those receiving blankets you made us saved our sanity when we were still swaddling Ayla at 6 months, and she still uses a homemade hooded bath towel just like that one! So YES, great ideas--and perfect for anyone handy with a sewing machine.

Christy said...

I agree - I'm using the blanket you made me still. The larger size is great. And Levi's favorite towel is one just like you're holding. I want one!

Esther said...

Those towels are the best. Two homemade towels like those were given to here and she still uses them because she likes the hood.