Thursday, January 24, 2008

Early-riser envy.

Today was the first time this week that a job didn't demand that I get up early. But I wanted to anyway. Well, it's not that I wanted to, more that I forced myself to in an effort to make a habit of it. I long to be one of those people who can just jump right out of bed in the morning. I love to sleep. Sometimes I'll have an early deposition at Mayo or a drive to an out-of-town job that will force my early-rising, but on my beloved work-at-home days, I'm left to my own devices. Like today. So I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help me in my endeavor...

{1} Have tempting breakfast foods on hand to lure you out of bed. Yummy pastries and a cup of coffee, different flavored bagels with hot tea or cider, fresh pineapple or grapes. This morning for me it was a tangerine, sausage links, and a cup of espresso. I love breakfast. Simply cannot get along without it.

{2} If possible, give yourself the option of taking a short nap in the mid-morning or afternoon. Now, I'm not much of a nap person. I usually feel tired and yuck after taking them. But if I just lie down and read for a little bit or close my eyes for a half-hour, it's a nice, relaxing time. If I know I'm going to get to take a nap in a while, it's easier to jump out of bed in the early morning (even if I don't end up taking myself up on the offer later on).

{3} Have something fun and creative on the morning's agenda so that you can be coaxed out of bed, even if it's just a short project. A homemade gift, a batch of banana bread for your neighbor, photography practice, phoning your grandma.

If you have any other suggestions for a reforming late-sleeper, I'd be glad to hear them! If you're one of those people who can just bounce out of bed in the morning all chipper, I'm rolling my eyes at you right now...

Day No. 5: Morning espresso.


Click here to view the entire "30 Days of Photos" album.

2 comments:

Andrea S. said...

I'm loving your photos. They look fantastic. It would make a great framed collage at the end of the 30 days! Just a thought. :)

Bob said...

I should try the breakfast thing. Maybe food would get me out of bed.