Monday, December 17, 2007

Lords and Ladies

Winn and I were invited to a medieval banquet at Winn's boss's house last night in celebration of the winter solstice. Everyone was encouraged to come in costume "or else it will befall you." So...

Winn borrowed this number from a friend of ours (he later added a sword to the belt).


I had fun making this blue velvet sheath for myself. I designed it after one like it that I saw on a medieval costume website. I bought the white Celtic chemise undergarment from Museum Replicas.


Winn and Dr. Grebe (his boss) discussing the medieval GPS hanging around his neck.


The authentic menu was extravagant, all made from scratch by Ursula Grebe from Russian cookbooks that I couldn't make sense of. The spread consisted of salmon, roast beef, and ham with a smattering of various dipping sauces with such ingredients as grapes, ginger, and garlic. There was also peas porridge, leaks, onions, and cabbage. For beverages they served cider, pomegranate juice, Scottish ale, and wine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much fun is that. And look at that thing you made you are so talented. love angie

Carrie said...

So, maybe I should have YOU make the kids' clown costumes that I want them to wear for next halloween....actually Cate is going to be a clown princess (Ihad to tell her that so that she'd want to be one).
That looked like a fun party.

martha said...

that is awesome, so much fun. The dress you made is very nice.

All in a Day said...

Fun! Shelly up north

Abbi said...

How very fun! I think adults enjoy dressing up as much as the kids. You look great in your dress.

Reb said...

I am so impressed with how your costume turned out Betsy. And you look MARVELOUS in it!