Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Back to School


Well, as of last night I'm officially a student again. This term I'm taking two online classes, Social Psych and Management. I love the business and management courses, hate the psychology. The bummer of it is that I already fulfilled my psych requirements; however, those credits wouldn't transfer, so I'm taking it again. Thankfully, that was one of the only ones that didn't transfer, so I've only got about a year to a year and a half left to complete my bachelor's (see To-Do List, No. 3).

While reading the first chapter in my management textbook last night on coping with a changing environment, I came across this interesting perspective on environmentalism by Authors McDonough and Braungart:

We see a world of abundance, not limits. In the midst of a great deal of talking about reducing the human ecological footprint, we offer a different vision. What if humans designed products and systems that celebrate an abundance of human creativity, culture, and productivity? That are so intelligent and safe, our species leaves an ecological footprint to delight in, not lament?

Consider this: All the ants on the planet, taken together, have a biomass greater than that of humans. Ants have been incredibly industrious for millions of years. Yet their productiveness nourishes plants, animals, and soil. Human industry has been in full swing for little over a century, yet it has brought about a decline in almost every ecosystem on the planet. Nature doesn't have a design problem. People do.

No matter how you feel about issues like global warming, toxic waste, pollution, etc., I appreciate the creative thinking of these two gentlemen in trying to adapt to change (one of the biggest challenges facing managers today), rather than fighting change. I also like how their observation points to intelligent design.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Betsy,

Speaking of school and intelligent design, I recently watched a PBS special on the debate between the theory of evolution and intelligent design. It's interesting to me how many of the people in the film who back teaching the theory of evolution were actually Christians; some were children of ministers.

In regards to adapting to change, after watching the special I found myself considering the theory of evolution as heavily credible while remaining a firm believer in a God-created universe. Must evolution and intelligent design be mutually exclusive? I'm chewing on that...

You can see the whole program online if you have two hours to kill:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/program.html