Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Secrets for Staying Healthy


Winn and I attended an excellent seminar by Dr. Creagan over the lunch hour today at Mayo. He talked about how important it is to take care of yourself (diet, exercise, spirituality, sense of purpose, etc.) and how that can determine 75% of your overall health (the other 25% is genetics, etc.). It reminded me of two things: one, how grateful I am to be a part of a facility like the Mayo Clinic (via Winn) and all the resources and expertise that it offers. And two, how we really need to take care of our bodies, as they are a gift to us, to be used to fulfill God's purpose for our lives.

Here is a brief synopsis that I received of Dr. Creagan and his book, in case you're interested in reading it:

Dr. Creagan is the American Cancer Society Professor of Clinical Oncology, the Rouse Professor of Humanism in Medicine, and a Professor at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. Among his honors are the Distinguished Clinician Award, Mayo's highest honor, and being named “Outstanding Teacher” in the Mayo School of Continuing Medical Education.

He is the author of 400 scientific papers as well as the best seller: “How Not To Be My Patient, A Physician’s Secrets for Staying Healthy And Surviving Any Diagnosis”

Dr. Creagan has been quoted in multiple publications, including Sports Illustrated, Prevention Magazine, Newsweek, The Philadelphia Enquirer, The Wall Street Journal, Bottom-line Magazine and the Ladies Home Journal.

No comments: