Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Market Madness


Online shopping is so handy. I buy a lot of my gifts and clothes that way, and lately I've been getting groceries that way too. There are, of course, several cons (i.e. not being able to try things on or feel the product, etc.), but there are a lot of pros as well. Here are some of the reasons why I like to shop online as opposed to at a store:

1. It's quicker. I'm not a big fan of running errands, so the fewer stops I have to make, the better. If I can order groceries, photos (http://www.snapfish.com/), you-name-it online, that saves me a lot of time.

2. You don't have to wait in line. Depending on the time of day you do your shopping, this might not be an issue, but there are a lot of times when I'll stand in line for several minutes at the checkout. This can add up to quite a bit of time over the course of several stores.

3. Faster shopping and faster checkout. When I shop for groceries at the grocery store, it can take me an hour to go through all the aisles (oftentimes twice because I forgot something on my list), but when I shop online, I just click on the product I want. You can also build "quick lists" on some online grocery websites of the products that you and your family use on a regular basis, and this saves a lot of time as well.

4. Less human error. At the store the cashiers are likely to scan something twice or forget to register a sale price, etc., but when shopping online, you can see the price right in front of you to ensure that you're paying the correct amount.

5. You don't have to deal with crowds. I imagine this would be even more true if you have young children and don't want to have to load them into the car and take them along, especially if they're tired or sick.

6. Less impulse-buying. This is a big one. When I'm grocery shopping online, I'm not tempted to grab that bag of cookies on the endcap or that candybar in the checkout lane. This saves money in the end.

7. Saves on gas money.

Now, this isn't to say that I never go to the store. There are things that come up that you need right away and have to go get them, and there will always be times that you just want to hang out at the mall with your sisters and your mom. And I like to go to the fabric store and feel the texture of the fabric and see all the new colors, and I enjoy going to an apple orchard to pick apples or to a pumpkin patch for pumpkins. But it's convenient to have the online option.

3 comments:

Esther said...

I do buy a lot online, but haven't tried buying my groceries yet. I may have to try that. What web sites are your favorite for buying your groceries?

Betsy Cradic said...

We usually buy them online through one of the HyVees in town. They're really good about picking good produce, like for your bananas you can indicate whether you want green, slightly green, or yellow. That's an important one for me, as I like mine slightly green. :)

Andy & Jessica said...

I'll have to try the grocery thing... That's how I like my nanners too!