Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunbathing


I love lazy Sunday afternoons. We had an open house this afternoon. We didn't have much traffic (although one gal seemed like a very interested buyer), but it was a perfect 75 degrees out, and sunny, so we headed for the deck with tall ice-cold glasses of DrPepper. Later Winn decided on a nap in the hammock. I don't think we'll have many more days like this in Minnesota this year. So we're enjoying it while we can.

It's tempting to lament the fact that winter (and snow) is right around the corner, but I have purposed to just enjoy today. And then I'll enjoy October, in all its fall-colored leave-raking glory. And then November, with its crisp air and pumpkin pies and comfy tattered sweatshirts. December, with fun hat-scarf-mitten combos and holiday festivities...and before you know it, "the Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise," it will be spring again. But for now, if you ever hear me complaining about the cold or the ice, remind me to live in the moment.

Anna Quindlen says it best...

"...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

3 comments:

Esther said...

well, if it gets too cool for you up there, you can always come for a visit to warm Louisiana!

Betsy Cradic said...

Yeah, maybe in January when it's REALLY cold... :)

Abbi said...

I loved your post! I am hoping to work at living in the moment better. I do try to appreciate each season that God gives to us. There is so much beauty and fun in every one!