a whole week has passed since i last was here. what a slacker. in the meantime...
1. winn's mom got a serious infection (possibly from her port) and had to have emergency surgery. now they have her on an aggressive antibiotic that they expect to kick the infection. winn was in des moines over the weekend visiting her in the hospital.
2. we had two open houses, neither of which have produced a buyer for our home as of yet.
3. i went with my mom to madelia for my cousin mindy's baby shower (she and her husband neil are due to have a little boy next month) and to my grandparents' 60th anniversary party in mankato, where family members were all asked to write poems and read them at the party. if you're so inclined, you can view these crafty pieces on our family website: http://www.blanshan.com/.
4. our co-ed volleyball team went out like a lion last night, winning the final three games of the season. unfortunately, we didn't make it to the finals, but we'll be back next year!
5. my sister jessica (along with my nephews grayden and benjamin) has been in town visiting this week, taking advantage of her last days of freedom before she starts her new position as an acute rehab nurse. yesterday she, my sister polly, and i painted some accent walls in my mom's living room (color: applesauce cake).
6. both winn and i have caught whatever bug has been going around, involving a sore throat, cough, and sniffles. thankfully, i think we're both over the worst of it.
7. we've stained our deck (with help from my dad and brothers--see pictures below) and have done some more work on the retaining wall out back, as well as given our floors, walls, baseboards, doors, doorknobs, and cupboards a good dowsing with Pine-Sol (with help from my sisters), cleaned the carpets, and scoured every nook and cranny of our house in preparation for the above-mentioned open house.
and on this rainy afternoon, having arrived home earlier than i expected from a job in mankato, a nap is sounding rather inviting. :)