Sunday, June 3, 2007

chemistry at home

winn decided to set up his own lawn chemistry lab at home. he got one of those soil-testing kits to find out which nutrients our poor lawn is lacking. we have really rocky soil (lots of limestone) and southern sun exposure on our hill, which fries the grass. he discovered that the pH was too high, and we needed to add some aluminum sulfate. so hopefully we're on our way to a greener, lusher lawn!















in between rains, i spent much of this week doing yard work and planting flowers and plants in our back yard. i planted some creeping phlox and other perennials above our retaining wall and then laid some mulch. i also planted several annuals in hanging baskets and pots, including petunias, impatiens, and salvias. now it's even more enjoyable to eat our supper out on the deck on these nice summer evenings.




2 comments:

Abbi Cobb said...

Hi Betsy,
It looks pretty. Seeing what others are doing helps to inspire me to keep working on my area. I actually have been in that mood anyway, the kids and I just got back from a long shopping trip to look at plants at 3 different stores. I came back with a vanful and am planning on sending Ken for more. We are changing the whole front of our house from little rocks with the big bolders to the big bolders(they get to stay) with plnts and mulch around it. I can't wait to see what it looks like when we are done. Abbi

betsy said...

Hi Abbi!
Sounds like your yard is going to look nice. You'll have to email me pictures when you're finished. Yard work is so much fun. I wish I had time to do more of it.
Love,
Betsy