Wednesday, February 28, 2007

at work in an electronic courtroom



i was working in a courtroom in preston, mn, all day yesterday for a trial. it's a tiny little town, but they had the most technologically advanced courtroom that i have ever been in. not only did they use realtime, but they had all kinds of cameras and flatscreens and plasma televisions. the judge can take pictures from his bench of anything in the courtroom and put them up on the screens. it's really handy for document review. the attorneys don't have to approach the bench or the jurors' box when they have a document to show. they can just put it under the camera, and it will come up on screens all over the place. also, there was a very soft-spoken juror yesterday that i could hardly hear, and the judge would zoom in on him so that i could watch his lips really closely on my screen. unbeknownst to me, judge benson took these pictures of me working yesterday during one of the proceedings and then emailed them to me last night.

4 comments:

Bev said...

Hey! Preston is where our daughter-in-law works. She's the assistant County Attorney down there. She works on Tuesdays and Wednesday but you probably didn't see her.

betsy said...

Oh, cool! No, I didn't see her this time. Brett Corson, the county attorney, is the one who was there. I'll have to look for Leigh next time I'm there.

Andrea S. said...

Oooh, you look so serious! :) If they only knew! haha That's pretty cool to have a photo of you working...it's kind of hard to get those kinds of pictures.

betsy said...

Yeah, these were kinda funny to look at. I thought I looked ticked off in the first photo. I guess I was just really intent on what I was doing! It was fun to get some "on the job" pictures to show my great-grandkids someday. :)